Baehr Ultima XL Installation
(Installing the electronics)

Installing the Ultima XL is really not the hard part, it's all the other stuff that takes the majority of the time.

First things first.  I removed the panniers, pillion seat, and driver's seat.

Next, I looked around to see where to install the intercom.  Since I had moved all of my, skimpy, tool set to my panniers, the tool cradle was the most logical location.  Plus, when I placed the intercom into that tray, it fits like it was meant to go there.

It's begging to be placed here.

Snug like a bug in a rug.

Now that I have found my perfect spot (or was it the spot found me?), I took the tray and washed it off  to get rid of all the dirt and grime in preparation for the mounting.  The kit came with mounting parts but I opted to use one of my favorite handy-dandy tools... Velcro.

What would life be without Velcro?

Once all the initial Velcro-ing is done, I place the intercom into the tray and Velcro the tray and the intercom to the sub-frame.

All nice and snug.  Now the tray can't jump around even when the rubber strap is not latched together.

The next thing to do is splice the accessory plug power cable to draw power for the intercom.  This time around I decided to splice the wire close to the rear accessory plug.  In this way I didn't have to remove the tank and all that wonderful business.

This time around it's the rear plug that gets the chop chop.

All I did was remove a small bit of housing on bot + and - wire and soldered the appropriate power wires together.  As with my previous installations, red-white is +, and brown is -.  I then apply a healthy dose of electrical tape to prevent any possibility of moisture coming in contact with the wires.

The intercom power cord is spliced into the rear accessory plug wire.

Here is the power cord connected to the intercom and the power cable is tucked away underneath the intercom.  That toolkit tray sure is handy.  This essentially ends the installation of the intercom unit itself.  The rest of the installation is more related with how to route the wires for all the electronic devices.

Now here is a sight that nobody should be hold, but the real questions is, "Where am I going to route all these cables?"

Wow!  This looks horrible.

I initially thought of pulling the tank but I didn't want the intercom wires to run so close to the ignition system.  Who knows, the intercom wires might interfere with the ignition system or vise versa.  Any way you look at it that definitely is a bad thing.  In the end, I decided to run the intercom cables on the outside of the bike next to the gas tank and under the side panels.

Now this looks a lot better.

I also decided to run the cables on both the left and right side.  The larger two-way radio cables are going to be run on the left side and the cell phone, navigation, and MP3 cables are going to be run on the right side.  This really helps to reduce the bulk.

Left side radio cables.  You can kind of see the cables under the panel.

All of the other smaller cables being routed on the right side.

You can see the noise filters in the image above.  They are a pain to deal with since there are so many of them.  Ultimately, I taped them together, with electrical tape, and Velcro mounted them to the side of the air box.  This made it a lot easier to route the remaining part of the cables.

This is much much cleaner and easier to work with.

Here is the path I took for the remaining parts of the cell pone, navigation, and MP3 cables.

The cables fit snuggly under the side panel without any crimping.

And here is where all the connectors ended up toward the front of the bike.

Push-To-Talk for two-way radio.

This concludes the cabling for the bike.  It's now just a matter of folding this cable here and tucking that cable there.  I did do one thing to verify everything is OK.  I started up the bike and cranked the handle bars to the extreme left and extreme right to make sure there is nothing getting in the way of the steering, throttle cable, and clutch cable.  Everything was OK.  Now it is on to setting up the helmets.

Baehr Ultima XL installation Part 1 (Preliminary stuff)
Baehr Ultima XL installation Part 3 (Putting the speakers in the helmet)

Written on: Mar 19, 2006
Last modified: Mar 19, 2006